Thread: Pro21: Win xp

Pro21

Pro21: Win xp

I know Windows isn't your expertise parker but I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade to WIN XP and Office XP. I currently have win ME and Office 97.

Parker

Parker: Re: Win xp

> I know Windows isn't your expertise parker
    > but I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to
    > upgrade to WIN XP and Office XP. I currently
    > have win ME and Office 97.

Well, I'm still running Windows 98 SE on my Windows boxes, so you can guess what my opinion will be.

I would hold off on upgrading for the following reasons:

1. Microsoft typically does their beta testing on the general public. You can bet that there will be an XP, second edition, or something similar. Wait for it.

2. "Upgrading" Windows simply doesn't work very well. When installing a newer version of the OS, it is best to copy all of your data files onto other media (Zip discs, CD's, or another hard drive), re-format your hard drive and do a clean install. This is a real pain in the . . . well, you know.

3. It's quite possible that you will be buying a new computer within the next couple of years. This will likely come bundled with Windows XP/Office XP.

4. There have been problems running some Win98/WinME applications on WinXP. You may get the upgrade installed and find that one of your favorite programs doesn't work any more.

5. Why spend money when you don't have to?

Having said all that, I must confess that I am running the latest version of Redhat Linux on my primary home system (and laptop), and I always upgrade as soon as a new version comes out. But that's different! :-)

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Re: Win xp

The points Parker made about upgrading Windows are all correct, and upgrading to XP on the same old computer will result in a slower new computer and a slew of other problems.

The only catch here in my opinion is that Windows ME is without a doubt the worst iteration of Windows ever. It suffers from strange incompatibilities and bizarre little handicaps, e.g.if you set the desktop to allow you to place your desktop icons in any pattern you wish, the overall OS will run 30% slower. I'll spare you remaining technical details.

XP is more Mac-like [intuitive and bundles with many good digital lifestyle apps], just a few of the fruits of the Apple/MS partnership, and supports some great new technologies [wireless peripherals, wireless home networking, audio and image file management, etc.]

As Parker mentions, when it's time to upgrade just buy a new computer with XP built-in. The cost-of-ownership, if you factor in your time, will be much cheaper. Also make sure your key applications are compatible with XP.

Office XP isn't a good enough reason to upgrade to the new OS. As even Don (the non-computer geek can see, Word stopped being 'improved' around 97 or so.

Good Cards,

V

The Mayor

The Mayor: Re: Win xp

I am running XP -- it is stable and strong, but it requires a fast processor (1 GHZ+) and lots of memory (min 128 M). I am very satisfied with XP. A special feature, if you run .net and have a cable or DSL, they use automatic updates to your system so you always have the latest bug fix. Problem: this means they might be snooping if you enable this feature.

--Mayor