Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don Schlesinger: WORD question

T. Hopper

T. Hopper: Two other options

I guess I would have to be physically present at your computer to get this to work. You do have some other choices.

1) Remove Word 2000 from your computer, reinstalling Word 97 if necessary.

2) Create a shortcut to Word 97 on your desktop. To open documents, first open Word 97, then drag and drop the files down to Word 97 on the taskbar.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Two other options

> 1) Remove Word 2000 from your computer,
    > reinstalling Word 97 if necessary.

It's part of Microsoft Office 2000, and I don't want to risk removing PowerPoint and Excel, at the same time, by deleting MO 2000. I realize that there must be a way to remove just Word 2000, without touching the other applications, but if there's a way to screw it up, you can count on me to do so!

Also, I occasionally come across a document someone sends me that won't open in Word 97 and that needs Word 2000, for me to read it. I think that's one of the reasons I've kept on my computer for a couple of years.

> 2) Create a shortcut to Word 97 on your
    > desktop.

Have always had one. It's how I open Word 97.

> To open documents, first open Word
    > 97, then drag and drop the files down to
    > Word 97 on the taskbar.

Better still -- how's this for lunacy? If I open Word 97 first, and then go to My Documents and click on an icon, to open a document, that document now opens in Word 97. In other words, the computer no longer tries to open the document in Word 2000! Pretty ridiculous, don't you think!

Unfortunately, if someone sends me a Word document, and I download it, I guess I can't just send it to My documents and then click "Locate now." I guess I have to do the same intermediate step,otherwise, the locate will open the new document in Word 2000.

Computers! They suck, because they claim to be logical, but, sometimes, they're ridiculous beyond all belief.

Don

Parker

Parker: T. Hopper and SOTSOG

I'd like to thank both T. Hopper and SOTSOG for jumping in here and helping Don out. Since I don't use Word, I'm unable to be of much assistance.

A favor: Would each of you take a few seconds and submit a profile? Just go back to the index page and click on "Create a profile" at the top. You do not need to divulge any personal information.

Once your profile is approved, your posts will appear immediately on the board when you post them.

Thanks! :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123