Thread: Parker: Welcome, computer geeks and illiterates!

Parker

Parker: Welcome, computer geeks and illiterates!

This page will be a little different, and unlike anything found at any other blackjack website.

As might be expected, we will discuss simulators, practice programs, and of course, Trackjack.

However, this forum will be much more than that. I have noticed that some advantage players seem to be pretty much in the dark when it comes to computers, and hopefully this page can change that.

Just about anything computer-related is an acceptable topic. For example, lately there has been a rash of computer viruses transmitted by e-mail that exploit security weaknesses in Microsoft Outlook or Outlook express. The easiest way to avoid this is to use some other e-mail client. There are several available, and many of them are even free. I will be posting a review of alternative e-mail clients in the near future, and we can talk about it.

Even something as basic as changing the preferences on your browser is fair game.

We will also talk about eliminating those annoying popup ads, and how to avoid looking at advertising on websites that have such stuff.

Want to dump Windows completely? Let's talk Linux. I do 90% of my computing these days on a Linux box. I laugh at viruses.

Feel like you're missing out when on the road? We will talk about laptops, getting online in hotels, Internet cafes, and much more.

And of course, input from those of you who are computer geeks is most welcome as well.

So bring on the bytes and bits - this is the place!

Pro21

Pro21: Outlook

I'd love an alternative to Outlook but Outlook Express does one thing I haven't found with another program. I manage many email accounts. Outlook allows me to see my 4 hotmail accounts and POP accounts all at the same time. My suspicion is that because hotmail is owned by MS that they are the only ones that can do it.

If you can recomend another program I'd love it.

Parker

Parker: Re: Outlook

> I'd love an alternative to Outlook but
    > Outlook Express does one thing I haven't
    > found with another program. I manage many
    > email accounts. Outlook allows me to see my
    > 4 hotmail accounts and POP accounts all at
    > the same time. My suspicion is that because
    > hotmail is owned by MS that they are the
    > only ones that can do it.

> If you can recomend another program I'd
    > love it.

I suspect that your suspicion is correct. "We are Microsoft. Prepare to be assimulated. Resistance is futile."

I find web-based e-mail to be cumbersome, and have switched almost entirely to POP accounts. I just use a web browser to check my web-based accounts.

I have to admit that I have not seen another e-mail client that integrates web-based e-mail and POP mail as smoothly as Outlook. Howver, I'm still looking.

Opera comes close, as you can have several browser windows open at the same time. You can have your e-mail client open, and have a web page open along side it with your web-based e-mail.

As I said, I'm still researching it.

The sad thing is that these viruses that exploit Outlook security holes are most likely to hit the people who are the least prepared to deal with a virus.

Pro21

Pro21: also

I had yahoo accounts but they no longer let you access them as POP accounts unless you pay. Can you recomend a free POP email service.

Also, an email program that will download multiple pop accounts without changing identities.

Parker

Parker: Re: also

> I had yahoo accounts but they no longer let
    > you access them as POP accounts unless you
    > pay. Can you recomend a free POP email
    > service.

I'm looking. Operamail used to have this capability, but recently changed providers and now no longer does. If anyone knows of a web-based e-mail provider that allows POP access to their accounts, please speak up.

> Also, an email program that will download
    > multiple pop accounts without changing
    > identities.

Most of them now have that capability. Pegasus will do it, as will the e-mail client that comes with Mozilla, the open-source version of Netscape, which is what I am presently using.

Since this is very similar to Netscape Mail, I would assume that the latest version of that program would do it as well, although I haven't verified this.

The e-mail client that comes with Opera will also do this.

Parker

Parker: Update

I found a couple - Eudoramail and Lycos Mail.

I have a Eudoramail account, although I don't use it a lot. I just added it to my e-mail client and downloaded new messages.

This is provided by the producers of Eudora, which is an e-mail client that is worth a look. They have a lite version, which is free.

I noted that Eudoramail is powered by the Lycos Engine, and found that you can do it with Lycos Mail as well.

Link below

Michael Belgard

Michael Belgard: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Parker

Parker: Viktor will need to do this.

> A little while back, I wrote a user's
    > manual for Trackjack, and submitted it to
    > Viktor for review. I also sent a copy to
    > Parker, and he did a little work on it.

> Parker, could you post your latest version
    > on this forum? I was considering posting it
    > on the Trackjack Support Forum, but I would
    > like to give other advantage players the
    > opportunity to see and discuss it. I feel
    > that players who have not subscribed to TJ
    > could provide excellent questions and input
    > to improving the manual before we install
    > the final version on TJ. Afterall, a user's
    > manual is most commonly utilized when a user
    > is least familiar with the product.

> Congratulations on becoming the RGE host.

Thanks.

The problem is that the manual is too big to fit in a message box. I discovered this after laborously converting it from .rtf format to html.

What will be necessary is for Viktor to put a copy of it up on the website somewhere and then post a link to it.

I will send him a copy of the html version in order to make it easier.

Michael Belgard

Michael Belgard: Re: Viktor will need to do this.

Thank you. I didn't realize that it would not fit in a message box. Sorry to put you to so much trouble.

I do believe that if Viktor can find a temporary location to place it, we can have a very interesting thread, and field issues that will create the most useful manual possible. Moreover, it will allow viewing the capabilities of TJ in a non-advertisement fashion.

sheen

sheen: Re: Welcome, computer geeks and illiterates!

as it is...computers had changed our lives to the most farthest ends
    but this computer usage is still subjective to factors like knowledge of a language , literacy
    can there be interfaces which are equally usable by both literates and illiterates?
    will it not better the communication round the globe,where interfaves will be language independent?

Titus Obilor

Titus Obilor: Re: Update

How can I access my eudoramail account. I have tried the lycos site but what it is giving me is access to lycos account holders only.please send response to [email protected].

> downloaded new messages.

> This is provided by the producers of Eudora, which is
    > an e-mail client that is worth a look. They have a
    > lite version, which is free.

> I noted that Eudoramail is powered by the Lycos
    > Engine, and found that you can do it with Lycos Mail
    > as well.

> Link below

Parker

Parker: Re: Update

> How can I access my eudoramail account. I have tried
    > the lycos site but what it is giving me is access to
    > lycos account holders only.please send response to
    > [email protected].

Um, the post to which you are responding is over five years old. Eudoramail is long gone.

However, according to Wikipedia (listing for "Eudora"), "At one time, Eudora also offered a webmail version at eudoramail.com. This service was run by Lycos as part of Mailcity, later renamed Lycos Mail. As of 2006, Eudoramail addresses for users still work (and are redirected to Lycos Mail accounts), but new users cannot sign up for the service."

Of course, that was last year. I suggest you contact Lycos support at www.help.lycos.com.