Thread: Bettie: Need San Fran help (no bj - well, it is San Fran)

Bettie

Bettie: Need San Fran help (no bj - well, it is San Fran)

Hey all. I'll be attending a conference in San Francisco and am hoping someone can tell me the best way to get from the airport to downtown (Union Square). Are shuttles readily available? Is a cab cheap? What's the most frugal/quickest option?

Thanks,
    Bettie

Myooligan

Myooligan: Re: Need San Fran help (no bj - well, it is San Fran)

> Hey all. I'll be attending a conference in San
    > Francisco and am hoping someone can tell me the best
    > way to get from the airport to downtown (Union
    > Square). Are shuttles readily available? Is a cab
    > cheap? What's the most frugal/quickest option?

The RT system (BART) will take you within 5 or 6 blocks of Union square. I haven't been there for awhile, but I'm guessing it won't be more than $5 from the airport. Just take the Powell St. Exit and walk north a few blocks.

BTW, I'd try to do that trip by day. Some of the areas around Union Square can be sketchy at night. If you have to go by night, you may be able to catch a Muni (cable car) from Powell St. station.

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Need San Fran help (no bj - well, it is San Fran)

I'll be arriving at 7:30 am and leaving at 6pm, so the daytime aspect is no trouble. What may be problematic is my inability to decipher/find train lines or even the hotel where the conference is if I go this route. It was a long time before I ever EL'd by myself in Chicago because my sense of direction is not great. If I decide to use it, does the BART at least take me directly to the airport on my way home? I gave myself 2 hours after the conference to get to the airport and make it through security. Is that enough time? For that matter, is the 50 minutes I have from landing to the time the convention starts enough time? Landing at 7:40 was my only option for morning flights.

Thanks, Myooligan!

BTW, I haven't forgotten your e-mail, I just wanted to check a few books first.

> The RT system (BART) will take you within 5 or 6
    > blocks of Union square. I haven't been there for
    > awhile, but I'm guessing it won't be more than $5 from
    > the airport. Just take the Powell St. Exit and walk
    > north a few blocks.

> BTW, I'd try to do that trip by day. Some of the areas
    > around Union Square can be sketchy at night. If you
    > have to go by night, you may be able to catch a Muni
    > (cable car) from Powell St. station.

Myooligan

Myooligan: Re: Need San Fran help (no bj - well, it is San Fran)

> I'll be arriving at 7:30 am and leaving at 6pm, so the
    > daytime aspect is no trouble. What may be problematic
    > is my inability to decipher/find train lines or even
    > the hotel where the conference is if I go this route.
    > It was a long time before I ever EL'd by myself in
    > Chicago because my sense of direction is not great. If
    > I decide to use it, does the BART at least take me
    > directly to the airport on my way home?

Yeah. And BART is about as easy to navigate as any transit system you'll come across. Color coded and everything. Take a look at the link below. . . all you have to do is look for the train headed toward Dublin/Pleasanton when you get off the airplane, and then the train bound for Millbrae on the way back.

Hey, what's the convention for, BTW?

I gave myself
    > 2 hours after the conference to get to the airport and
    > make it through security. Is that enough time?

Yes.

For
    > that matter, is the 50 minutes I have from landing to
    > the time the convention starts enough time? Landing at
    > 7:40 was my only option for morning flights.

I'd say probably not, if you're set on being there right on time. The BART leaves SF International every 15 minutes on weekdays; I took a look at the BART page and it takes 30 minutes to get to Powell St. Station(I'm assuming you're not flying into Oakland, right? Although the BART goes directly to the Oakland airport, too). And it's a brisk 10 minute trek to Union Square from the station, as I remember.

But, be advised that traffic is ridiculous in SF that time of day. I'm not sure a cab would get you there any faster, although it would probably do the trick on a weekend.

> Thanks, Myooligan!

You're welcome. Feels nice to actually be helping out someone else from ap.com for a change.

> BTW, I haven't forgotten your e-mail, I just wanted to
    > check a few books first.

We've never doubted you, Bettie

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Need San Fran help (no bj - well, it is San Fran)

Thanks for the map. Looks like I screwed up by flying into SFO. I didn't realize that the Oakland airport was closer to the city (and has a slightly shorter flight), so now I'll be praying to make it on time. There's a little leeway at the start of the conference because they'll have a small breakfast and opening remarks, but I should have done my homework so I wouldn't be worried or rushed.

I think I've settled on a shuttle as a mid-price way to get right to the front door of the hotel, though I might take the BART back if I can figure it out. Should have scheduled a later flight so I could do some shopping, though it's probably best I didn't!

Thanks for your help,
    Bettie