See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Private Forum Policy (Paranoia is reality seen on a finer scale)

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Private Forum Policy (Paranoia is reality seen on a finer scale)

• Multiple private forums can exist. But, let’s not get carried away.
    • Try to keep information that is not private on the public forums to avoid discussion fragmentation. Please do not keep non-sensitive information secret.
    • Private forums will be invisible to anyone not in the forum.
    • Each private forum will have a forum leader.
    • Membership will be by invitation by the forum leader only.
    • BTF (Blackjack The Forum) will have no say in membership.
    • Members should avoid discussion of the existence of any private forums in the public forums.
    • Only “active” members can be added to a private forum. “Active” is currently defined as someone that has been a general forum member for five days and made five posts. These limits will be raised in a few days. To see if you are an active member, try to send a Private Message (PM).
    • A private forum must have at least six initial members, including the leader. (I’ll waive this if the purpose of a smaller forum makes sense.)
    • General site rules apply to private forums, with the exception of the sensitive information rule.
    • There is no charge for private forums. This policy will remain unless there is abuse of the feature.

Note: If you are a member of a private forum, you will see threads and posts on the sidebar, in What’s New, and in search results. Not to worry, they are not visible anywhere for non-members.

To begin a private forum, send me the name, list of initial members and identify which is the forum leader.

Nothing is set in stone. Suggestions are still welcome.
    Last edited by Norm; 07-14-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Well, that's certainly a democratic and interesting way to handle this. Set up your own private forums!

Blog Entries

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

The Icky Factor

I have been involved with many teams over the years in various capacities. But, I have never played for a team. Don’t get me wrong; team play makes a great deal of sense for so many reasons. I just feel it’s too much like a job.

Teams spend lots of effort attempting to “vet” members and avoid cheating. I have a section in my book contributed by Richard Reid on the subject, and give out free software to examine results looking for various problems. But, I don’t personally want to be involved with such. No more than I want to vet people for private forums. Same sort of thing in my mind. I’ll supply tools, and I’ll provide private forums. But, count me out when it comes to claiming that I know how to vet anyone. My philosophy has always been, if I don’t know how to do something well, I’d rather not do it at all. (Had to practice a lot before losing my virginity.)

Having said that, I have great respect for team managers. This is a much tougher job than people realize.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Thank you for your intellect and time.

What the heck happened to this site? I can't even view the threads that I previously started. They're all private now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thirdbase View Post
    What the heck happened to this site? I can't even view the threads that I previously started. They're all private now!
    We made a much discussed change to reduce the noise. See http://www.blackjacktheforum.com/sho...scription-Info

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    A mere $3 a month will allow you to see the private forum.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Well, that's certainly a democratic and interesting way to handle this.