Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titaniumman: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Titaniumman

Titaniumman: (Message Deleted by Poster)

DD'

DD': pronounciation

Contrary to popular opinion around here, it is not Lew-weez'-ee-anna. That second syllable barely exists

I disagree that the second syllable is almost silent. The first pronounciation is closer. Yes, we are named after King Louis. But how do you suppose "Louis" is pronounced? Not "Lewis" the way it is commonly pronounced in America. We pronounce "Louis" as Lu Wee... as in the New Orleans Street, King Louis XIV. That is King Lu Wee the fourteenth.

Titaniumman

Wildcard

Wildcard: I'll bet a black chip...

those military guys stationed at Fort Polk, and have only Leesville nearby would offer a different pronunciation of Louisiana. :-)

Igor

Igor: (Message Deleted by Poster)

DD'

DD': unless you come from

Alabama with a banjo on your knee, you are not going to Lew-zee-ana. However, the popular coffee (and ice tea) is pronounced "lew zee an".

Pronounciation of "Orleans" is a bit trickier as it depends on what is being referred to. For the city it has 3 syllables: or-lee-unz. Very close to the French pronounciation, which would be "or lee aw" with N being silent. For natives the vowels of the last two syllables would sound something like onions. My family has been here, on both sides, for several generations. Absolutely nobody that I know or know of says "Nawlins". That is TV and movies only. The second most popular pronounciation woulb be something like "New Or- lunz"... Like in the Fats Domino song, "I'm walkin to New Or-lunz" Now, if you are talking about the street, Orleans Ave, or the hotel, The Royal Orleans" then you'd say "or leenz", the way the city is commonly pronounced in other parts of the US... and like Fats Domino pronounces it in "do you know what it means to miss New Or leenz".

Titaniumman

DD'

DD': That's what I drink. They call it the state coffee *NM*

Okie

Okie: You left out my favorite...

Bisque! Crawfish bisque, lobster bisque. They are like a soup but better then any soup that I've tried. I once asked for a recipe but it was extremely complicated and there was no way I was going to try to make it. Ever had it?

Titaniumman

bigplayer

bigplayer: Gumbo, Red Beans, Boudin, and other tidbits

Really two types of gumbo...Creole style has Okra and roux (flour browned in oil) and sometimes tomatoes. This is the type of gumbo most often found outside of Louisiana.

Real Lousisiana gumbo doesn't have Okra in it...it starts with a stock (chicken or seafood) and then brown Roux is added for color and thickening. Seasoning Onions & Bell Pepper and your meats (sausage, chicken, shrimp, whatever). Then cook it down for a few hours and serve a bowl of it with a scoop of steamed medium grain rice (none of that crappy converted rice that many restaurants use nowadays).

The key is getting the right color of roux without burning it. There is no corn starch in Gumbo...the Roux is the thickening agent.
    Ideally the roux is browned in a black iron skillet until it is the color and consistency of peanut butter.

Boudin is the correcdt spelling of Boudin and it is basically a "dirty rice" sausage.

There is no eggplant in traditional dirty rice. We call it "rice dressing" and it is made of 10% liver and 90% ground meat with green onions and other seasoning.

Finally, most people don't put tomatoes in the Red Beans while they are cooking, but the secret to good Red Beans is to take 1 cup of cooked beans and crush them into a paste and add them back to the pot when all is done along with 1 cup of ketchup and 1/2 stick of butter. The only other ingredients are smoked or andouille sausage, onion, bellpepper, salt, black & red pepper (for a little zing).

Finally, NEVER add rice beforehand to red beans or gumbo. The rice should ALWAYS be on served on the side and added in at the last moment.

RP

RP: Louisville, KY = "loo-i-vool" (not "loo-ee-vil") *NM*

Igor

Igor: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast