Thread: Buick Riviera: PE As Initial Screening Tool

Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera: PE As Initial Screening Tool

Game conditions/rules are reported by various services/newsletters (like Trackjack) all of which use PE as one of the measures. If one were to use PE as an intitial screening measure, what would be your opinion of the lowest PE you would consider when looking for a "playable" game for the 1-, 2-, or 6-deck affair? That is, what is the worst game, stated in terms of PE, that you would consider before investigating other factors such as pen?

Thanks,
    Buick

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Wrong question

The PE, or playing efficiency, refers to the effectiveness of a count system in identifying those times when you should vary your playing strategy from basic.

Using a certain count system and spread, the playing efficiency might differ ever-so-slightly from one game to another, but that isn't worth commenting upon.

In short, you really asked the wrong question, as the PE pertains to the count you're using and not to the games you're playing.

Use SCORE to rate the games. Little else matters.

Don

Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera: Re: Wrong question

Thanks so much for taking the time to address my question. Unfortunately I can not find any reporting service, including Trackjack, that reports the SCORE of the various games.

All of them seem to use the "off the top" (dis)advantage of "-0.18%" or "-0.52%" or whatever applies. It was this number to which I was referring and hoping to use as an intial screening tool as to the X-deck game.

BTW, it would seem a relatively simple matter to have SCORE "automaticly" computed as the info is input by reporters as to any given game. Why doesn't Trackjack do that or are there copyright/royalty issues that I'm not considering?

Buick

> The PE, or playing efficiency, refers to the
    > effectiveness of a count system in
    > identifying those times when you should vary
    > your playing strategy from basic.

> Using a certain count system and spread, the
    > playing efficiency might differ
    > ever-so-slightly from one game to another,
    > but that isn't worth commenting upon.

> In short, you really asked the wrong
    > question, as the PE pertains to the count
    > you're using and not to the games you're
    > playing.

> Use SCORE to rate the games. Little else
    > matters.

> Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Wrong question

> Thanks so much for taking the time to
    > address my question.

How refreshing! Someone who actually appreciates our repsonses! :-)

> Unfortunately I can not
    > find any reporting service, including
    > Trackjack, that reports the SCORE of the
    > various games.

Actually, I think Scott Kister's site does that. Perhaps someone here can furnish the URL.

> All of them seem to use the "off the
    > top" (dis)advantage of
    > "-0.18%" or "-0.52%" or
    > whatever applies. It was this number to
    > which I was referring and hoping to use as
    > an intial screening tool as to the X-deck
    > game.

Oh, OK. Well, for future reference, that's not PE, but rather "BSE," or "basic strategy edge" (off the top), for the game in question.

> BTW, it would seem a relatively simple
    > matter to have SCORE "automatically"
    > computed as the info is input by reporters
    > as to any given game. Why doesn't Trackjack
    > do that or are there copyright/royalty
    > issues that I'm not considering?

No, the problem lies elsewhere. Just look at any single chart in Chapter 10 of BJA3. For the SAME game, how many different SCOREs do you see? See the problem? We would need to specify a single spread and a single way of playing (play all or BC) each game, or the notation would fast become terribly cumbersome.

Perhaps there is a way, however. We should give it more thought.

Thanks for your comments.

Don

Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera: Thank You *NM*