Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KidDangerous: Scenario

KidDangerous

KidDangerous: Scenario

You have 1 weekend to play. You will probably get in 20 hours of play. Your goal is to make 20 dollars an hour. Whether it be an aggressive or conservative approach how do you attack it?
    Interested in hearing any and all approaches to this.

Thanks,

Kid

Gorilla Player

Gorilla Player: Re: Scenario

> You have 1 weekend to play. You will
    > probably get in 20 hours of play. Your goal
    > is to make 20 dollars an hour. Whether it be
    > an aggressive or conservative approach how
    > do you attack it?
    > Interested in hearing any and all approaches
    > to this.

> Thanks,

> Kid

I would crank up my friendly CVCX program, enter the rules for the game I will have access to, and then enter the BR details specifying that I want to make $400 for the trip ($20 per hour for 20 hours). It will give you an idea of the bet spread you need to make that happen.

That's modest enough to be doable...

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Risk?

> do you attack it?
    > to this.

Reading something like this is akin to the sports announcer who says, "And now a partial football score: Notre Dame 21 ..."! :-)

Questions like the above have no intelligent answers until you specify what kind of risk you're willing to take on. How much do you care about the chance that you'll lose all the mooney you bring with you? A lot, a little, not at all? If you don't specify the ROR level that you're willing to accept, the question is unanswerable ... at least by me.

Don

KidDangerous

KidDangerous: Re: Risk?

> Reading something like this is akin to the
    > sports announcer who says, "And now a
    > partial football score: Notre Dame 21
    > ..."! :-)
    Guilty as charged....my fault...and I read that exact quote just the other night

> Questions like the above have no intelligent
    > answers until you specify what kind of risk
    > you're willing to take on. How much do you
    > care about the chance that you'll lose all
    > the mooney you bring with you? A lot, a
    > little, not at all? If you don't specify the
    > ROR level that you're willing to accept, the
    > question is unanswerable ... at least by me.

1k bankroll...I care...I don't want to make that bankroll a 1 session deal. but it's for playing BJ only. So on 1 to 10 care factor I would say 5 borderline 6... Playing 5 dollar tables...10 dollar if it makes the approach more sensible.
    Playing mostly 6d shoes - dealer stands soft 17, split any 2, double after split, double any 2,
    I think I covered all the rules. They are all good rules though. I want the risk to be low as possible and still be able to make the 20 dollar an hour mark.

Let me know if I need to provide more or if i missed something. I really want to know any thoughts or advice on this. I don't have any of the software as of yet so thats part of why I'm asking. Need as much input as possible.
    Many Many thanks for any help. As I said
    if this still isn't enough info let me know.

Thanks Again!!!

Kid
    > Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: One more question

Back-count or play all?

Don

KidDangerous

KidDangerous: Re: One more question

Well my initial thought was back counting, so that I'm playing at optimal times only. The downside is I know I won't always be able to stick to that due to several factors. Given that I was wondering myself which would be better.I would have to assume back counting would still prevail. But, I'm wondering with it only being a 20 dollar an hour goal would I being giving up a whole lot if I had to play all. If I'm not, then probably the safest bet would assume play all.
    Figure the worst and hope for the best. I don't know if there is a way to compare the two, but it would be nice to see if there was.

Kid

Gorilla Player

Gorilla Player: Re: One more question

> Well my initial thought was back counting,
    > so that I'm playing at optimal times only.
    > The downside is I know I won't always be
    > able to stick to that due to several
    > factors. Given that I was wondering myself
    > which would be better.I would have to assume
    > back counting would still prevail. But, I'm
    > wondering with it only being a 20 dollar an
    > hour goal would I being giving up a whole
    > lot if I had to play all. If I'm not, then
    > probably the safest bet would assume play
    > all.
    > Figure the worst and hope for the best. I
    > don't know if there is a way to compare the
    > two, but it would be nice to see if there
    > was.

> Kid

Depending on where/when, backcounting is often difficult. IE where we stayed in Vegas in June (Grand) if you popped in at 9-10pm, you could forget about wonging in. You could wong out all you wanted, but you might not get back in, it was so crowded. Also, as things got more crowded, they would up the table limits, but let you keep playing at the original limit unless you left and came back (restroom breaks were OK however). But if you are betting $10, and come back to find the table at $25, that seems a bit high if you are only interested in making $20 per hour. With shoes, a $25 table requires some pretty big bets. Of course, on many of the tables (but not all) at the MGM, there were the usual "no mid-shoe entry" particularly when the limit was $25 and up... Never found a $5 table in the Grand, but there were several 10's, just crowded...

sometimes it is "play all" or "play none"...

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: One more question

> But, I'm
    > wondering with it only being a 20 dollar an
    > hour goal would I being giving up a whole
    > lot if I had to play all.

Short answer: yes.

> If I'm not, then
    > probably the safest bet would assume play
    > all.
    > Figure the worst and hope for the best. I
    > don't know if there is a way to compare the
    > two, but it would be nice to see if there
    > was.

Of course there's a way. You go to Chapter 10 of BJA3, or BJRM, or CVCX and one time you look up or enter "play all" and the other time, you specify "back-count"! :-)

Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Scenario

> do you attack it?
    > to this.

There's really no way to achieve this, playing all, with less than $5,000 total bank and about $2,000 that you would take with you for the trip. Even then, ROR is almost 25%.

Either you back-count, or you grow your bank, or both. You can't make $20 an hour, safely, with $1,000 of bank.

Don

KidDangerous

> sometimes it is "play all" or
    > "play none"...
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I know exactly what you mean. Thats the thing I have to consider. But I haven't a problem in the world finding a 3-5 or 10 dollar table. I have yet to sit at a green chip table. I have fantasies of it. But when I walk by one I just smile and think.."one day Kid...One Day...".
    The most I have ever won on a single hand was around 80 dollars. Due to splitting doubling etc..
    But 25 minimum is but a dream for me right now.
    Thats why I am attempting to grind out a 20 dollar an hour win. It doesnt sound like a lot. But it adds up quick. Once I boost my bank at 20 an hour I would give my self a raise to maybe 25 - 30 dollars an hour. Granted it will be a grind.
    But it is a million times better than what I do day to day now. So I'm ready to grind away.

Kid

KidDangerous

> Of course there's a way. You go to Chapter
    > 10 of BJA3, or BJRM, or CVCX and one time
    > you look up or enter "play all"
    > and the other time, you specify
    > "back-count"! :-)

> Don

I shall do that tonight! (BJA3)

Kid

KidDangerous

KidDangerous: Re: Scenario

Well thank you for the input and quick responses.
    I think I am going to go for it. I will just play more to the backcounting side of the whole deal.
    Backcount always if possible. Hopefully e.v. s.d. will be on my side. I'm going to split the 1k into 6 sessions. 30 units of red each. Hit the low tables and go at it. May the force be with me.

Again I really appreciate the input,help and advice Don and GP. It has really helped.

Thanks!!!

Kid

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Cowabunga Dude!

Good for you. You are not gambling the rent money or the babies food money are you? Are you? Be honest now.

Your young; $1K is not the end of your world; and truthfully there is absolutely no way to properly maximize a $1K BR. None.

Is it all 6D where you go? No DD or 4D?

I would not play all with $1K. Never. Back count the hell out of that place and don't worry so much about being thrown out. Wait for monster counts (> plus 5). Of course it's not 'optimal' but you can not optimize a thousand dollar BR.

Any DD or 4D? Count and wait to play when a huge count comes around. Slide by, plop down a bet, then move on depending on the count. (I might limit my max bet to $50 -why, just to have 20 shots at the thing -again absolutely no quantifiable basis for that whatsoever.)

Get your money in when you have a BIG advantage; never before.

Don't sit down; stay fluid.

Dont be afraid to bring it all home -you can't afford to settle for mediocre positive counts.

And good luck -you are going to need a lot of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast