Thread: Dog Hand: Three More Tournament Questions?

Dog Hand

Dog Hand: Three More Tournament Questions?

I've played in one tournament after having watched part of another. Both used a rotating "button" to indicate which player had to bet first for each round, to ensure that each player would periodically have the advantage of betting last. However, regardless of the betting order, the players still played in the traditional order, starting at first base and ending at third, before the dealer played her hand.

I have three questions:
    (1) Is this playing order typical for tournaments?
    (2) Doesn't this give the third baseman a large advantage? After all, he gets to see whether the other players have busted, stayed on stiffs, etc., before deciding how to play his hand.
    (3) How is the seating order generally determined? In the one I played, each player drew a number at random and then played in the corresponding seat.

Thanks in advance!

Dog Hand

Parker

Parker: Answers

> I've played in one tournament after having
    > watched part of another. Both used a
    > rotating "button" to indicate
    > which player had to bet first for each
    > round, to ensure that each player would
    > periodically have the advantage of betting
    > last. However, regardless of the betting
    > order, the players still played in the
    > traditional order, starting at first base
    > and ending at third, before the dealer
    > played her hand.

> I have three questions:
    > (1) Is this playing order typical for
    > tournaments?

No! In every tournament I have ever played, first base rotates with every round, both in terms of betting and playing. There is even a procedure to follow if the dealer screws up and reverts to traditional dealing.

> (2) Doesn't this give the third baseman a
    > large advantage? After all, he gets to see
    > whether the other players have busted,
    > stayed on stiffs, etc ., before deciding
    > how to play his hand.

It would if that were how it is normally done. It is not.

> (3) How is the seating order generally
    > determined? In the one I played, each player
    > drew a number at random and then played in
    > the corresponding seat.

Seats are randomly assigned via drawing numbers or something similar. "First base" for the first round is then determined by cutting cards, rolling a die, etc. This then rotates for each round.

All players must keep their chips in plain sight. Bets must be made in playing order. Once a player has placed his/her bet in the circle, it cannot be changed.

Usually, when there are five hands left in the round, all chips are totalled so that everyone knows where they stand and (hopefully) what they must do in order to win.

Coug Fan

Coug Fan: Ploppies sometimes bet out of turn

> No! In every tournament I have ever played,
    > first base rotates with every round, both in
    > terms of betting and playing. There is even
    > a procedure to follow if the dealer screws
    > up and reverts to traditional dealing.

This is the rule in every tournament that I have ever played (about 50). However, it is interesting to note that alot of ploppies tend to play in these tournaments, and they will frequently bet out of turn. I make it a rule not to correct them unless there is a decent player between us.

I have never seen a tournament where the dealer allowed players to hit out of turn. I agree with Parker that this would give third base an advantage, although not nearly as large as the advantage that you get when ploppies bet out of turn.

Dog Hand

Dog Hand: Thanks, Parker and Coug Fan! *NM*