Thread: Adam N. Subtractum: Beginner Book...

Adam N. Subtractum

Adam N. Subtractum: Beginner Book...

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on "The Complete Book Of Blackjack" by T.J. Reynolds for a beginning player.

Parker

Parker: Good choice

> I was wondering if anyone had any comments
    > on "The Complete Book Of
    > Blackjack" by T.J. Reynolds for a
    > beginning player.

This largely overlooked book is actually an excellent all-around blackjack text. While not really breaking new ground, all aspects of the game are presented in a clear and easy-to-follow style.

The book follows the usual format, starting with a bit of history and the rules of the game. Basic strategy is then discussed. Renolds' explanations of why some non-intuitive hands are played a certain way are excellent.

The Hi-lo counting system is then presented. The principles of card counting are explained in a clear and concise manner.

Finally, there is a brief discussion of bankroll requirements (he uses the term "money management," which I don't really like), cover and camoflage techniques, mental preparation, etc.

My only criticism is that, despite being a recent book (1998), the author seems totally unaware of Don Sclesinger's discovery of the of the 18 most important strategy deviations (Illustrious 18).

He presents tables with about 100 indices (He calls them "MBS tables," for Modified Basic Strategy), and gives the impression that it is necessary to learn them all, and gives no indication that some are more important than others.

Other than that, it is a good text and an excellent "first book" for the beginning blackjack player.

Just make Blackjack Attack, 2nd Edition by Don Schlesinger your second book. :-)

Bootlegger

Bootlegger: Re: Good choice

Good suggestion on the second book to read. I think I can understand why it may have been that the author didn't want to include the Illustrious 18 in his book. He may not have wanted to be perceived as a "copycat" by using Don's list. I faced the same choice and thought about including something like Bootlegger's Top 40 list of plays in my upcoming book, but decided that I couldn't really improve on what Don had done, so I gave him due credit and listed the I18 and Fab Four plays. This is a wheel that really doesn't need to be reinvented.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Good choice

Am making good progress on the book. Up to p. 90 and plugging away! Already got to the part you just mentioned.

You're going to be happy you sent me the manuscript! :-)

Don

Bootlegger

Bootlegger: Looking forward to your comments

I am looking forward to your comments and critique. I know they will help to make my book a better one.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Looking forward to your comments

> I am looking forward to your comments and
    > critique. I know they will help to make my
    > book a better one.

Finished the charts. Nice job! Am moving on!

Don

Bootlegger

Bootlegger: Thanks again!

> Finished the charts. Nice job! Am moving
    > on!

> Don

I am pleased to hear that. I wasn't sure what kind of response those charts would get from experienced players. Of course, before the book goes into its final version, I will double check them for accuaracy.

I spoke to the publisher today and he is thinking about making two books out of it instead of one. Don't know for sure yet whether that will happen. There would have to be some additional negotiations. I must say that I felt as if I were writing two different books. :-)

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Thanks again!

> I spoke to the publisher today and he is
    > thinking about making two books out of it
    > instead of one. Don't know for sure yet
    > whether that will happen. There would have
    > to be some additional negotiations. I must
    > say that I felt as if I were writing two
    > different books. :-)
    It's difficult trying to be all things to all people. Beginning BS players might not want to continue, in the same book. Aspiring counters might not need the beginning part.

I'll talk to you about it when I'm done.

Don

Parker

Parker: Two books

> I spoke to the publisher today and he is
    > thinking about making two books out of it
    > instead of one. Don't know for sure yet
    > whether that will happen. There would have
    > to be some additional negotiations. I must
    > say that I felt as if I were writing two
    > different books. :-)

Well, you could publish it as one book and call it, "Two Books on Blackjack."

Oh, yeah . . . I think that's been done. :-)