View Poll Results: How do you calc the true count?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rounding

13 22.41%
  • Truncating

5 8.62%
  • Flooring

26 44.83%
  • Exact

4 6.90%
  • Unbalanced

11 18.97%
  • Feng shui

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Method of true count calculation

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Method of true count calculation

Flooring, truncating and rounding have been discussed numerous times on the web. They are rarely mentioned in books. For some time I've been wondering how often each is used. This poll is not about which you think is best -- but which you use. Non-subscribers may vote in this poll.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I hit the wrong button. Truncate for most playing decisions. Insurance decisions I round if I have 20 or 21.

For betting decisions; round to 1/2 count between TC 1.5 and 3 to avoid a big jump at a TC of 2.
    Last edited by Zach Black; 04-13-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Norm: With CV DAta. Exact True count is available in CV Index. However, not an option in the multi-tracking section. How does one compensate in lieau of?
    Both the sim and the generator allow exact divisors for calculating TC. Exact indices (except for Insurance) aren't really meaningful.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I use both-ish. If the TC is say, 2.8, especially later in the deck I would make my TC 3 bet, but I'd probably floor when it comes to higher variance playing decisions. In CVCX I would simulate flooring.

Blog Entries

Where are you seeing this option?

Blog Entries

These have nothing to do with exact indices. That concept is useless. They have to do with how the player will estimate the remaining cards for the TC calc. This function exists for both the generator and simulators.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    These have nothing to do with exact indices. That concept is useless. They have to do with how the player will estimate the remaining cards for the TC calc. This function exists for both the generator and simulators.
    What do you do, Norm?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ahjooma View Post
    What do you do, Norm?
    I round. Not because it's "better". Because that's the way my mind works. But, it's clear from this thread people count in many ways. Having talked to a rather large number of counters over the decades -- that's hardly a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I round. Not because it's "better". Because that's the way my mind works. But, it's clear from this thread people count in many ways. Having talked to a rather large number of counters over the decades -- that's hardly a surprise.
    thank you.