See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack Ball Winners

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Blackjack Ball Winners

The newest inductee to the Blackjack Hall of Fame is Don Schlesinger.
    The winner of the Grosjean Cup this year was Rick Blaine.

Two great guys.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Cool. Congrats Don.

Is the Grosjean cup the one who can count down a deck the fastest?
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Blog Entries

The Cup requires a many-step, tourny-style process. First a test filed with tricky questions. Then a bunch of tasks, like counting down a deck, cutting to an ace, estimating cards in a shoe, etc. All while drinking Champagne, of course.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Thanks. Out of curiosity what was the fastest time for counting down a deck?
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Congrats to Don, but it really surprises me given all the politics and infighting amongst the "legends." Norm, I predict you for next year!

Blog Entries

A lot of nasty politics. But, Don has helped a huge number of people over the decades.

About time! Congrats Don!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see his picture up at Barona.

Congratulations Don! When you read the forward of almost any BJ book, it includes a thanks to you for your assistance. I knew it was about time for you. That's great.
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Congrats Don. You always help people with straight forward answers to their questions. For your contributions to all over the years whether helping with books of from BJA3 or individual assistance you sure deserve it. You even got your book back into print when limited supply caused prices to sky rocket. And you did it at a reasonable price and allowed all to get a discount for a limited time. We could use more like you.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    First, I offer my congrats to Don again (as I did on the other site).

I just don't get the "in-fighting" and "politics" of this community. I really don't. Grown adults. And intelligent adults. And although I don't personally know any, I suspect decent people. Yet at times and unfortunately it is often, they act like 3rd grader. Why? I've asked before and I'll ask again, why is everything a pissing match in this community?

And finally, and I am sure this comment won't be popular, but I don't really get the BJHoF. I get that there is some sense of pride or accomplishment in being recognized by peers. But it seems like blackjack is a very individualized thing to me (even counting team play). Goals and achievements are a personal thing (at least to me). It's not some competition or scorecard.
    As best as I can theorize, there may be a prevailing inferiority complex common to many members of the AP BJ Community. Unlike endeavors such as poker, where the best players get to be celebrated, gawked over, and admired, in theory the best BJ player is likely to be someone none of us has ever heard of but has wisely decided to stick as far away from the limelight as possible and amass a fortune. It's a common feeling that one must be recognized when he reaches a certain level of success, so there is likely to be higher than average back-biting to ensure recognition when the possibility does come up.

Don was NOT part of the BJHoF already?? Dear god...

My astonishment is my best way to honestly congratulate Don. Thanks!

He deserves it. He has done more than anyone else to expand our understand of the count game. Index priorities, game comparisons, bankroll structure, etc.
    The Cash Cow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast