Thread: Vegas trip report

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Vegas trip report

I would love to share an unedited Vegas trip including who I went with, how and where we played etc., but it would not be right for many reasons so I will try and share a fun week. I have to thank the wise APs here for sharing their knowledge which has helped me have successful trips. Being coach able allows more learning which brings confidence and victory.
    Since I go every year and constantly tweak my week long trip to make each year a little better, I know enough good games to use as a base, but always look for more.
    We played 1 to 6 deck games on a rotation basis and always had the table to ourselves. Winning the first 6 sessions at 2-6 deck games gave us a good start. We drank and ate very well. Since we were there for fun and BJ, we had little pressure and never needed to put the petal to the metal.
    Since we all drink, we didn’t rent a car this time, so cab fares did eat up some dough. We used our feet and the tram. Little problem since the sights are always interesting.
    We never played more than 40 minutes and certainly had a “perfect” cover act which I can never reveal. That part was really fun. The best part is that some in the group never knew, because they are not Aps which made the cover plan more real.
    This was my first year using 6 deck games and it worked out just fine. We did find better 6 deck games to play with excellent pen. I found little change in any 2 deck games we have played for the past 7 years or so, but some games at Harrah’s stores were significantly better. Still we played at those stores just a few times. We also played at 3 stores not affiliated with chain properties and did well at all of them.
    After the first 6 winning sessions I felt like we couldn’t lose and then we lost 2 sessions. We huddled and got it back with the next 3 winning sessions. Then we remained with all winning sessions, but most were very small wins except a few.
    One day we walked from Mandalay Bay to the new SLS. Long walk, but we checked games all the way and had a few brews. We got to the SLS 5 hours later and took a cab back. The weather was always sunny, dry and warm.
    I always imagine how hard it must be to be so disciplined and organized to be a pro. I have much respect for you guys. Our cover would not last pro AP, but is great for once a year. I also imagined KJ and his rotation of games, shifts and amount of sessions he does… wow!
    Several times I left earlier than I had to because I was tired and needed to walk around, but NEVER left a plus count.
    Food. Best food we ate. Big Al’s Oyster Bar (Orleans), Sushi (Mandalay Bay, NYNY), Breakfast at the sports bar (Rio), Steak Gallagher’s (NYNY) their signature NY strip, best ever by far and I am a steak man for sure. Nicest person waiting on us…Mary (bar manager, Gallagher’s) most beautiful also.
    Panhandlers on the bridges had new signs. “I need a beer.” “I’ll take left over beers, drinks, joints, cigarettes or money.” Need drugs, booze.” Guys were drinking beers, sitting around for tips.”
    BJ was good at El Cortez, but their food terrible. Just wanted 2 eggs and it was a disaster.
    I will get a car next time, but it was no big deal not to have one this trip because we all drink.
    Airline security has changed and carrying money was easier.
    A successful trip in fun and BJ victory. Wish you all the same.
    Baberuth

Banned or Suspended

Good for you, Baberuth. I am glad you had a nice, fun and profitable trip. Would have liked to have heard more details, but certainly understand not doing so. Mandy Bay to SLS is a good walk. Checking and playing stores along the way as well as timing out for a couple beverages should be a full day. What were your impressions on SLS?

I thought the games would be good since LVH had some. I followed your posts about 6 deck play so that gave us more games and places to play. I trained for the long walk. It was ez. I think we all have details of our play, where we played and cover act that should not be exposed. Even though there were more 6/5 games I found improved games this year. Some just had much better pen, but that's a good improvement. Stores would have a 6/5 bank of games right near the same 3/2 games. You had to look closely and the dealers were "cute" about it. I asked one dealer if it was 6/5 and she said "No 3/2. You're looking for the tables over there." I laughed and said "Why would I do that?" She then laughed with me. Another made it sound like 6/5 was such a great deal. I agreed and kept looking. Spent time finding some new good games and it paid off.

Thanks for the updates! I'm looking forward to my annual trip next month. Glad to hear that games might be slightly improving. Always a good game to be played if you're on the lookout! Congrats on the profitable and fun trip.
    You don't score, until you SCORE!