See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why don't more people AP?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    i am so afraid of variance .Be careful and be very prepare .

I try not to post much anymore because their are others much more experienced and are kind enough to give such good replies to those seeking help, but I will give my view on why there are not more APs.
    I doubt there will ever be too many winning APs. There will always be many dreamers, but few will be winners. A very small percentage of players try and of that small percent there is a small percent that will be able to keep up with the count, find the right games and bet properly. Of that small percent left, there will be a smaller percent that will have the personality to develop a good cover. The percentage gets even smaller when you now add having the courage and discipline to handle losses. Family life, travel, diet and other factors must be considered.
    So many “give up” or “see the light” that it’s much too difficult to be successful.
    There are a few on this site who are in that fraction of one percent. They are rare and fortunately for us they are generous with their help.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    It happened to one of the best full-time players in North America.

"With a 2% advantage, you have a 20% chance of being minus after 2500 hands." - Ken Uston

I don't know the percentages after 200,000 hands. Anyone venture an estimate?
    First, what makes you think Ken Uston was one of the best full-time players? He certainly was one of the better known.

Secondly, 2500 rounds is nothing. I have had two, 35,000+ round losing periods in the last 4 years. And other players have spoken of much longer.

Now, since I have jumped into this thread, my own thoughts are along the lines of mjbballer23's, that it takes the fun out of the experience for most people and that's what they are after. Of those that are more driven by money, I would think 'lack of discipline' is the thing that keeps the numbers down.

Baberuth: Don't be shy. Jump in more often. It's always good to hear from you.

Last edited by KJ; 04-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.

I've always believed that winning money is fun. Perhaps I've been mistaken all these years?
    Vincit Qui Patitur

Banned or Suspended

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    It's because of the monster losing streaks. Hit one that lasts two years then see if you still feel like playing.
    Losing streak of more then 2 years ? LOL. Although possible, but rare. You might want to re-evaluate your skill and see if you're doing anything wrong, usually lack of focus/discipline or thinking you're better than you actually are, you might just not be ready to be a successful AP

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKinG View Post
    Losing streak of more then 2 years ? LOL. Although possible, but rare. You might want to re-evaluate your skill and see if you're doing anything wrong, usually lack of focus/discipline or thinking you're better than you actually are, you might just not be ready to be a successful AP
    That's what I was thinking. Though usually when people say something like "I've had a two year losing streak," my immediate thought is, "how many hours/hands are you getting in?" Saying you've had a two year losing streak when you take a few trips a year is far different than having a two year losing streak while working professional hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenKinG View Post
    As KJ has alluded to in the past... Instead of how much time you've played whether it's two years, or whatever. Learn to track the number of hands that you played. Two years of play for some people may only be a couple of thousand hands. While to someone else a couple of thousand hands could amount to only a few days worth of play. Time played is very deceptive where as hands played is much more accurate.
    Last edited by Solo player; 04-27-2014 at 12:29 AM.
    "I think, therfore I can't play blackjack."
    Arnold Snyder, Blackbelt in Blackjack pg. 229 (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Baberuth View Post
    I try not to post much anymore because their are others much more experienced and are kind enough to give such good replies to those seeking help, but I will give my view on why there are not more APs.
    I doubt there will ever be too many winning APs. There will always be many dreamers, but few will be winners. A very small percentage of players try and of that small percent there is a small percent that will be able to keep up with the count, find the right games and bet properly. Of that small percent left, there will be a smaller percent that will have the personality to develop a good cover. The percentage gets even smaller when you now add having the courage and discipline to handle losses. Family life, travel, diet and other factors must be considered.
    So many “give up” or “see the light” that it’s much too difficult to be successful.
    There are a few on this site who are in that fraction of one percent. They are rare and fortunately for us they are generous with their help.
    Very well said Baberuth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123